All 3DLES projects can be found online on our grid. Chatterdale, Parolay, Mikree Zahaav, SLRoute and Lodewien have free access when they are not used by schools. A great opportunity to have a look around in these virtual learning environments. All you have to do is:
- Create an account HERE or request a free account at
- Download the Firestorm 3D viewer. There are also other viewers but we recommend this one.
- Set up the viewer
- Set up voice
Download Firestorm 3D viewer
To walk around the virtual world you need a special 3D viewer on your computer. This needs to be downloaded and installed. We recommend the Firestorm viewer which works fine on this virtual world.
Download the Firestorm viewer (recommended)
To set up the Firestorm viewer, follow the instructions below.
Firestorm viewer settings
To log on the 3DLES EDUgrid you have to set the URL of the Firestorm viewer to this grid.
- After installing and starting the viewer, select VIEWER -> PREFERENCES in the menu at the left top. A new 'Preferences' window will open.
- Select the OPENSIM tab on the left, second option from the bottom.
- Fill in at the top, at ADD NEW GRID: edugrid.3dles.com:8002
- Click on APPLY
- Click at the bottom on OK
- Fill in First Name (space) Last Name and Password which you have previously created (step 1), or received from us.
- Click on the Log In button, you now will be logged in on the 3DLES grid.
- That's all you have to do.
Using voice needs to be set in the viewer.
- After installing the viewer click in the viewer top left corner on Viewer -> Preferences...
- Select the tab Sound & Media and Voice at the top (see below)
- The settings should be like in the picture below. So Enable voice chat and Toggle speak on/off... have to be on.
- Then click on OK (at the right bottom)
- A window of Vivox might appear where you have to accept the terms.
- EXTRA: Only when logged in - Select Sound& Media and the Voice tab again.
- Click on the Audio Device settings. Here you can set the voice input and output (set it to your headset).
- Check if talking through the microphone will show in the green blocks meter. Talking on a normal level must give three green blocks.
Use the Input Volume Slider to adjust the volume.
- If you cannot reach the right volume you may have to check the audio settings of your computer.
- When finished click on OK
Always use a headset!
Our advice is to always use a headset. When this is connected the speakers of the computer will be turned off and the chat can only be heard on the headset.
After loggin in it is possible to talk to other avatars through voice. At the bottom of the screen you can click on the TALK (or small microphone) button to turn your microhpone on and off.
It is also possible to use the middle mouse button for switching microphone on and off.
Am I talking?
When the microphone is switched on others (that have voice enabled) can hear you talking in the envorinment. When someone speaks you can see green audio waves over the head of the avatar. You ay also see green waves at the chatbar of the viewer.